Founded on January 1st 2007 by the three following Graduate Institutes in Science and Engineering:
INA P-G - Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon
ENGREF – Ecole Nationale du Génie Rural, des Eaux et des Forêts
ENSIA – Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Industries Agricoles et Alimentaires
AgroParisTech is a member of ParisTech , the Paris Institute of Technology, which is a consortium of 10 of the foremost French Graduate Institutes in Science and Engineering.
AgroParisTech is a core member of the Paris cluster in Life and Environmental Science and Technology, together with 2 Graduate schools (Alfort National Veterinary School and Versailles National School of Landscape architecture) and 3 research centers (INRA, Cemagref and AFSSA).
AgroParisTech is organized into 5 departments:
- Agronomy, Forestry, Water and Environmental Science and Technology ;
- Life Science and Health ;
- Science and Engineering for Food and Bioproducts ;
- Social science, Economics and Management ;
- Modeling: Mathematics, Informatics and Physics.
450 Ph.D. students,
230 academic staff,
39 research laboratories,
300 researchers and
9 campuses (4 in Paris and the greater Paris area)
The Academic Programs at AgroParisTech include:
- 3 different Master of Engineering (MEng):
- 1 Master of Science (MSc) with 5 domains that cover most fields of Life Science and Technology
- A wide-ranging Ph.D. program
- 1 Post-Master degree for Management and Administration in environmental sciences and policies, proposed by ENGREF, a post-graduate institute of AgroParisTech.
- 9 Advanced Masters (one-year post graduate training)
- 1 Summer University in english dealing during two weeks with french agriculture
The French “Grandes Ecoles”
The higher education system in France includes universities and other institutions called the “Grandes Ecoles”. The “Grandes Ecoles” are the best rated pathways for higher education in Engineering and Management. The vast majority of the chief executives in major French companies and of top managers in the French Administration are graduates from the “Grandes Ecoles”.
The features are:
- A very selective admission process through which students are either admitted by a nationwide entrance exam or by the virtue of excellent academic records ;
- 5 years (Master’s degrees) to 8 years (PhD and post-Master’s degrees) of higher education ;
- The degree course at the “Grandes Ecoles” includes compulsory internships in laboratories and companies, in France or abroad ; and
- The prestige of the “Grandes Ecoles” and its contacts with major enterprises provide an easy access to the job market.
International relations include:
- 100 partnerships with foreign universities ;
- foreign students, representing 20% of the student body ;
- 3 students out of 4 spending a 2-month to 1-year period abroad (internship or study program)
- Many exchange programs (ERASMUS, US-EU programs, China and Brazil programs, 2 ERASMUS MUNDUS programs, etc.) ;
- Membership in the IDEA-League, a consortium of 5 European Outstanding Universities of Science and Technology, via ParisTech ;
- Membership in many other networks highlighting international relations: The “Grandes Ecoles” conference, AUF (the Association of French Speaking Universities), ATHENS, etc.