Opening for applications for 2017-2018 : February 13 - June 9 2017 ; deadline for receipt of applications : June 9, 2017
Brochure Forest and their Environnement (FEN)
Welcome in Nancy ! Practical informations for foreigners
Foreigners can apply to scholarships of 2500 euros, download the specific form
Temperate forests, forest ecosystems, environment, global change, sustainable forest management, sivicultural system, forest ecology.
Takes place in
A maximum 15 students will be recruited on selective basis with a view to mix national origins. Applicants should justify a 1st year MSc level (M1) or master’s degree or equivalent (M2) as acknowledged in the EHEA (European Higher Education Area), or justify at a minimum a bachelor’s degree in non-european areas, with an educational background in forestry, plant science, agronomy, ecology, eco-physiology, or environmental science.
This master course is open to international students (including Erasmus Mundus European forestry students) with a curriculum in forest science, agronomy, plant ecology, aiming at developing professional activities in the field of forest resources and ecosystems.
B2 level in English required : check the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Equivalent qualifications are IELTS >5, TOIEC >700, TOEFL IBT >90, or Cambridge FCE.
Objectives and skills
FEN is a major integrally ensured in English. FEN addresses environmental and management challenges in temperate forests in the current and future context of local and global environmental changes.
Aimed skills :
Knowledge and understanding of the organization and functioning of forest ecosystems,
Ability to analyze observations and experiments on forest ecosystems using appropriate quantitative tools,
Understanding and development of modeling approaches to forest ecosystems,
Ability to use major research tools and methods : identification and formalization of a research issue, literature analysis, oral and written scientific communication, in an English-speaking environment.
Target fields of activity and employment
- Careers of managers in public and private institutions in charge of environmental expertise, sustainable management of forest resources and areas, consulting for environment in forestry, agencies or organizations in charge of the technical evaluation of forest policies.
- Careers of scientists, scientific managers in research and R&D institutions, missions with an international dimension.
Fundamental disciplinary approaches are emphasized (physiology, biogeochemical cycles, community ecology, functional ecology, genetics), as well as tools and methods for forest science (experiment and observation of forest ecosystems, data bases and monitoring sites, GIS tools, modelling, statistics) at a higher level.
The first semester (S9) relies on 10 compulsory training units (30 ECTS) :
Fundamental and applied knowledge
- European forests and sustainable forest management
- Understanding tree structure and functions
- Biogeochemical cycles in forest ecosystems
- Dynamics of forest plant and tree communities
- Forests and forestry in a context of global change
- Genetic resources in forest ecosystems and forestry
Tools and methodology
- Literature synthesis project
- GIS analysis in forest ecology and management
- Advanced statistics for forest science and forest ecology
- Modelling for forest research and management
The second semester (S10) is dedicated to an internship of a duration of > 20 weeks, in France or abroad, in a research laboratory, a R&D department, or a consulting service in public or private institutions, in charge of sustainable forest management and environmental evaluation of forest policies.
Several training units propose case-study projects.
Each compulsory training unit is evaluated on specific bases and gives right to 3 ECTS credits. The internship is evaluated based on a written dissertation, an oral presentation to the master jury, and advice from the internship supervisor.
Supervision of the major
Mathieu FORTIN (AgroParisTech) and Daniel EPRON (Université de Lorraine)
AgroParisTech : LERFoB laboratory
Université de Lorraine :EEF laboratory
External : INRA (LEF laboratory - BEF laboratory), IRSTEA.
Application form should include :
- The EUROPASS documents (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents )
- Marks obtained over the previous educational year,
- One application letter,
- One recommendation letter from a senior professor/scientist of earlier educational courses/internships.